Monday, March 26, 2012

How to Use Dimentionals Tutorial

Take you projects to another DIMENTION by using dimentionals. I love the look of dimentionals on a card or project. They add more depth and interest to your work. I regularly use dimentionals to the back of an image or the image's frame to pop it up from the main layers of a card. Today I will talk about how to use dimentionals to add a 3D look to your images.

I colored the new March release "Kitty in Sock" image. I was unsatisfied with the way the color of the cat. It was the same color intensity of the sock and I felt that what was to be the focal point became lost in the image.



I made a duplicate copy of the image and colored just the cat's head. I made the colors lighter and added more contrast.



Very carefully, I cut out the cat. I tried to stay right at the outline.




Then, I added dimentionals to the cat for placement on the image. Depending on the look you want to achieve you can double up dimentionals or use a thicker dimentional for a more dramatic look.




This is a side view of the image with the head attached. When cutting the image out there will be some white areas of paper that will need to be touched up with your marker.



Next, I add dimentionals to the frame that will hold my image. These varied dimentions make my image the focal point in all the varied papers and layers.



Finally, I add dimentionals to my newly created image.



Waa Laa. I turned a mistake into a focal point for my card. My image takes center stage. This technique might save you from having to recolor an entire image or it might be one you use to draw attention to a focal point of an image. Either way it will make your work pop and take it to the next DIMENTION.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Your card is so cute! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who loves dimensionals!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! (hugs)

(If you have questions for the artist, you can contact her directly at info@meljensdesigns.com - for all other questions, please visit our 'contact' page. We'll help you the best we can! :-)